Thursday, June 20, 2013

Is it Okay to Run in a Cemetery?


This morning was cool and foggy. It was great for running, and I logged just over 5 miles before work. I ran near in the area around a local college and spent some time running through this beautiful old cemetary.



I ran through here very early last week, someone was driving through for a visit. Even though I only ran on the path, I almost felt that I was intruding on them. 

Today there was another runner in the cemetary and no cars, so I enjoyed it alot more. After all, "Life for the Living" and the folks buried here might be happy to have the company, right?  Of course, if there was funeral in progress I would not intrude.

When I got back, I googled this question of whether it's appropriate to run in a cemetery. I was a bit surprised by how much has been written from both sides of this issue.

There was one famous marathon runner, Ed Whitlock, who ran a 2.5 hour marathon in his 70s, who did all of his training in a cemetery near his house. I can guess what his feelings on the issue would have been!

Do you run in cemeteries? Are there other "controversial" places where you consider training?

Follow my journey at www.Run2BeHappy.blogspot.com!!






No comments:

Post a Comment