Sunday, June 23, 2013

The Garmin Forerunner 110 Makes a Great Training Partner




I've been a hobby runner for about 6 years, and I finally ran my first 5k last year.

I got more committed earlier this year and decided to sign up for a 10k, which I ran in late May.

Up until I signed up for that race, I would usually just guess how many miles I put in each day. I would usually run about 2 miles and would be pleased if I made it to  3 miles.

The idea of running 6 miles sounded almost out of reach, and so I decided to buy a GPS watch to measure mileage.

In my career I am a financial planner and a nice way to describe me is thrifty (aka tight wad, cheap, you get the idea)! So to spend over $100 on myself besides clothes for work was a huge step.  Boy am I glad I did, though.

After spending hours reading reviews online, I decided to go with the Garmin Forerunner 110. I am a small-framed body and so it looked better on my little wrist.  I like the latest tech gadgets, but I liked the simplicity of this device. One button starts the GPS and another tells me distance, time and pace at a glance.  It does take the GPS a bit longer than I would like to find a satellite.  Besides that, I think the only thing missing that might have been nice would be a heart rate monitor, but at the price of just over $100 this is just about perfect.

I bought the 110 on May 6th, and I can tell from the reports it generates online that I have run over 110 miles. Now my average run is over 4 miles and my longest distance is just over 8 miles. I can track my pace when I need to do speed work and my elevation when I need to do hill training.  

If you are a beginning or hobby runner and want to shift your running into another level, I highly recommend buying this GPS watch!


I did some speed training this morning, 2 miles at just over an 8 minute pace. That's an improvement but I have to get faster to beat my 5k PR in late July.

No comments:

Post a Comment